Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Surprise Birthday Party!

I never thought I would ever start a blog. I don't really have an interest in writing or ever thought I would, but I have now found that I want to write about our little Trooper's Journey as a 31 week preemie so I can remember where we have come from and what we have been through.

Grayson Kendrick Bell was born on June 24th at 3:58pm after my water broke when I was just 31 weeks and 3 days pregnant. I had experienced a very high risk pregnancy with a lot of bleeding, a partial placenta abruption, which created a very unusual clinical picture. The doctors called my uterus "fragile," saying I was a complicated case and no one really could answer why I was bleeding because all the labs, tests, etc checked out "normal."

I was placed on bed rest at 20 weeks. Doctors painted a grim picture and thought it was highly unlikely that I would deliver a term baby. At that point, my goal was to make it to the age of viability at 24 weeks. Weeks went on, ultrasounds showed the bleeding had stabilized, and bed rest turned into a "modified" bed rest, until 30 weeks. I began to have light bleeding and back to the couch with minimal activity I went. I prayed I would at least make it to 32 weeks, but really, 36 was my goal, but Grayson and my body had other plans.

On a Wednesday night I began to bleed while sleeping. The bleeding got heavier and I called the doctor. He was supportive, said some blood is to be expected but if it gets worse or I have contractions, come to the hospital. This was 2:45 am. Around 4am the bleeding was slightly heavier but no contractions. I laid in bed and prayed for God to tell me what to do and something just told me to go to the hospital. I don't know what it was, must have been God's grace because I just new it was time to go. Thankfully my mom was in town and was able to go to the hospital with me while my sweet husband stayed with Jones.

At the hospital the bleeding slowed down and I felt a little silly for being there. The doctor came to see me and ordered labs and an ultrasound. The lab work checked out ok, however the ultrasound showed that I had very little amniotic fluid surrounding the baby. There were a million things that could cause that and I struggled to find the one that I wanted it to be. The nurse performed a test and determined that my water had broken and then it was decided that we were having the baby that very day. Grayson was then born via c-section at 3:58.

His 1 minute apgar score was 8, and the 5 minute apgar was 9...excellent scores! Full term babies hardly ever score a perfect 10, so I was thrilled. He also weighed in at a solid 3lbs and 14 ounces....excellent weight! He was even crying as loud as he possibly could! There was so much blood in my uterus that he had swallowed it and also inhaled it which impeded his breathing. The neonatologist determined that he needed more breathing support, so he was placed on a CPAP, but eventually needed the ventilator. He stayed on the vent for the remainder of the night.

Our visitors today were my mom, Barbie Horne, Tiffany Walsh, and Grandma Judy.

No comments:

Post a Comment