Saturday, September 11, 2010

Poppin' his collarbone

9.10.10
What a day. I received the dreaded phone call from daycare around 12:30, with the director saying, "Camille, something just isn't right with Jones, he is crying uncontrollably." I had some thoughts in my mind as to what it could be but a broken collar bone never crossed my mind.

I immediately got Grayson in the car and went to pick Jones up. When I got to daycare, he was asleep and the teachers told me that he fell on the playground earlier and has been very fussy since then. My first thought is that he is a toddler and he falls all the time, no biggie...maybe he has an ear infection or maybe his teeth hurt? They did say he had been fussy all morning, but really fussy after playing on the playground. He was sound asleep and I thought about just leaving him there for his nap but instead I picked him up and put him in the car. He was fussy but nothing too unusual considering that I woke him from a deep sleep.

When we got home, I noticed that he screamed when I lifted him out of his car seat and he wouldn't let me put him down. I prayed for God to give me the strength to get Grayson out of the car (with his heart monitor also, mind you) with Jones attached to my hip, and I have to say that I actually did it just fine! We got into the house and Jones just kept crying, but was consolable. It was a different cry then usual, but yet nothing on his sweet little body seemed injured. No scratches, no bruises, no "boo boos" that he would point to, he just seemed to hurt. I undressed him trying to find some clue, but nothing. Well, if only hindsight were 20/20...when I took off his t-shirt, he screamed bloody murder when I attempted to get it off. Also, he continued to scream whenever I picked him up. Momma's "something-aint- right" radar was on full swing, and luckily Jai was on the way home to help me out.

Jones fell asleep on the couch as I nursed Grayson and when he woke up, he continued to act like something was wrong and so off to Lexington Urgent Care we went. The doctor took 6 xrays only to confirm my worst thoughts, that he had indeed broken his right clavicle. He is now supposed to wear a sling and follow up with a pediatric orthopedic surgeon. Wow.

I am still in shock that my sweet little 19 month old boy has a broken collar bone. Neither Jai nor myself have ever broken a bone before, so we have no idea the pain that he is having, which makes me hurt that much more. When we got home, Jones sat on Jai's lap and sang the "A, B, Cs" and demanded french fries...so for those that know him well, that is pretty normal behavior. He really only seemed to be in pain if he accidentally put too much weight on his right arm...but how do you get a toddler to not put weight on an arm...? I gave him some prescription Lortab and not long after that he was sleepy. I rocked him to sleep and I cried and cried. I just feel horrible for my wittle lovie! It breaks my heart! He is sleeping with us tonight and he seems to be sleeping pretty well. Hopefully that will continue as this night is not over yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment