Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 18 - I heard that...Grayson is a BIG BOY!

Taking the hearing test!


7.12.10
Today Grayson passed his hearing test! I wasn't really worried that he wouldn't because when we talk to him, he squirms or opens his eyes, but it is SC Law to test newborns. I am very happy that he passed!

Grayson is still having some apnea even though he is on caffeine. He had one big episode around 11am this morning that required stimulation. I remember that he has had them before around 11am, and I am curious to know if his caffeine wears off around that time. He usually gets caffeine at 2 every day. I will be sure to pay attention to see if it happens around 11am tomorrow.

Today Grayson had some blood work. Everything was normal except his hematocrit (part of the red blood cell that helps to carry oxygen to the cells) is 31.1, which makes him anemic. They want it above 35 so they are starting him on iron to help with the anemia. I have read today that anemia is very common in preemies and it is easy to fix, so that is good.

We attempted another bottle feed, but Grayson wasn't having it today! He was just too sleepy and I wasnt able to give him enough time to try either. We started around 9:30 and by 9:48, he only had about 5mLs down. The nurse didnt help me too much because I had fed him yesterday...I am wondering if maybe they helped me more and I had more time, we may have had a different outcome. Oh well, it may have just been Grayson. They are telling me that some days are better than others and we will definitely try tomorrow.

Grayson may have an eye infection. He has some drainage coming from his left eye. I'm not sure how or why he would have one, but the nurses cultured his eye to see if it is infected. I really hope it isn't! The culture will be back Wednesday, so we'll see.

Tonight Grayson weighs 4 pounds and 15.5 ounces!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY! What a big boy! He has gained an entire pound and one ounce and is almost 5 pounds! Unreal! The child gains about 2 ounces per day, I am sooo proud!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment